Role/Duties of a Coach:
1. Manage a 90 minute practice / game session.
2. Session participants are:
a. Buddies - People with special needs
b. PALS - People assigned to with work with the Buddies to assist during the session
c. Session Coordinators / Assistance Coaches - People who provide "supervisory" help to the coaches, PALS and Buddies.
3. Following a set template of activities during the 90 minutes.
4. Sequence of Activities are:
a. Greetings and Help Pair Up Buddies with Pals
b. Warmup - General Stretching and Calisthenics
c. Running of Drills - Basic Skills including dribbling, passing, defense, shooting, and team work...
d. Running of the Game / Scrimmage - Emphasis on team work, equitable ball / shooting balance i.e., ensure that all players get and make a shot.
e. Cool Down - Re-emphasis on a great session, introduction of each player / pal ...
5. No prior experience is needed with coaching special needs people; however, some basketball coaching experience would be a plus.
6. You must have a desire to help others and you have to be extremely patient and respectful to all.
Role/duties of a PAL:
* Prior basketball knowledge or skills are not necessary to be a successful PAL
* Work one-on-one, or two-on-one with Buddy
* Protect players from injury from incidental contact (i.e. errant ball, flying elbows... or from falling down)
* Encourage Buddies to perform activities in both group and individual training sessions
* Help Buddies to understand the skills they and you are learning
* PALs can assist Buddies in competitive settings to ensure competitive balance (i.e., a PAL can let a Buddy touch the ball and then shoot for the Buddy if that Buddy is incapable of taking a shot or reaching the basket)
* Demonstrate activity skills for visual reinforcement
* Stay active and engaged with your Buddy both on and off the court
* Use touch to keep them involved and give them the true feeling of shooting and dribbling
Role/duties of a Session Coordinator:
* Previous experience as a PAL is required
* Commitment to be there EVERY week
* Assist coaches throughout the session (equipment, music, activities and drills)
* Site Safety – unsupervised children on the court, on the stage, or in the hallways
* Monitor the music during session
* Solicit and present ideas to improve program from attendees
* Remind coaches when 5 minutes is left in session to “circle-up” for Buddy and PAL congratulations and wrap up
* Set an example for other PALs